Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Sky Orchestra


Here's the preview in the Sydney Festival brochure:
Seven hot air balloons, each with speakers attached, take off at sunrise to fly across the West of the city creating a sky borne symphony. Each balloon plays a different element of the musical score to produce a massive audio performance that many hundreds of sleepy people experience subconsciously as the balloons fly over their homes.

I live in the West of Sydney and I can tell you, yes, yes, yes, inner peace in waves. That much is true ...

I was the sound artists' lab monkey, alone, fixed to a chair, bristling with wires, a big needle in my brain, holding a phone number but no phone due to budgetry limitations. (So minimal medical support.) I was nervous, trying to sleep, trying to drink camomile tea through a straw, trying not to get distracted and wreck the experiment by drifting into thoughts about the crossword and malt biscuits. But then ... could it be La Grange? Without the words, clearly, but oh the words, the words ... 'Well, I hear it's fine if you got the time / And the ten to get yourself in'.

No comments: