Monday, January 21, 2008

Misplaced comment #1

Shuttle diplomacy is subtle for anyone with a speech impediment.

Notes: (1) In writing what I have just written, I do not wish to demean those who have a speech impediment. I do acknowledge, however, that my words could inspire such an interpretation. Therefore, I propose that all parties concerned sit down, perhaps in groups of three or four spread through the rooms of a big stately building, and talk long into the night. We can have mixed nuts and juice.

(2) I once saw a man perform a punk version of Hamlet (part of a series of productions called Speed Shakespeare), which featured lots of profane language and not a great deal of subtlety (that was the point, of course, which I (kind of) got and (kind of) appreciated). His speech during the performance was flawless; it was only when I spoke to him after the show that I discovered his profound stutter.

No comments: