Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Preternatural public transport

What are you looking at, she asked.

A window. But not at it. We're on the bus, so I'm clearly looking through it. But I mean the window's in me, and together we're checking out what's going on outside. In the street.

What do you see?

Oh, that question is less philosophical than you might think. Crowds. Cars. Neon lights. Mashed paper. Shop front awnings. Shoes. A kaleidoscope of hoods and hands. The city is lively tonight, don't you think?

(Her stop had come.)

2 comments:

psstraka said...

I don't understand the title.

Interesting woman, asking the right questions. I hope you meet her again!

Lunar Brogue said...

The prefix preter signifies 'more than', 'outside' or 'beyond'. Hence the woman was not real in the flesh and blood sense.

Preter is also a common misspelling of peter, given the neighbourliness of the 'E' and 'R' keys on a QWERTY keyboard. I suspect 'peternatural' is not a word, but if it were, it might be loosely synonymous with 'entropy', meaning 'gradually dissolving into a uniform or stable state'.